MARCH BOOKS.

Monday, 10 April 2017

Hi! So another month, which means it's time for another monthly books! Like I mentioned a couple times  before, I like reading books, and writing about them. With that also comes the constant hunt for some new good books, and that's the reason why I'll write these monthly book posts, for someone who might be in the same situation as me and is just looking for some nice books to read!

1) The curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon.
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. he hates the colour yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down."
The first time I actually read this book is ages ago, so that's why I decided to read it again to keep it fresh in my mind.
I've read so many mixed reviews on this book to be honest. A lot of good ones, but surprisingly to me; also a whole lot of bad ones. For me personally, I really enjoyed reading this book. It's well written and I really enjoyed the idea of writing a book from the point of view of a boy with asperger syndrome. However, it's not as much as a mystery novel as it is displayed to be, nonetheless, it's a good y/a book which is enjoyable to read.

2) All the bright places. - Jennifer Niven.
"Theodore Finch wants to take his own life; 'I'm broken and no one can fix it'. Violet Markey is devastated by her sister's death; 'in that instant we went plowing through the guardrail, my words died too'. They meet on the ledge of the school bell tower, and so their story begins. It's only together they can be themselves."
When I started to read All The Bright Places, I had slight mixed feelings about it. It's a definite young adult book with a story that starts out as something cliche. However, the more I got to the end the more I enjoyed it, and the more surprised I got by the things that were happening. It's definitely not a fairytale story in the sense that it's a 'we lived happily ever after', which is something that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I've also written down two of my favorite quotes from the book, which I thought you might enjoy. "No more winter at all. Finch, you brought me spring." (p.265) // "But I bring it up to let you know that this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned with the earth and I'm floathing." (p.234)


3) The pursuit of love - Nancy Mitford.
"'Obsessed with sex!' Said Jessy, 'there's nobody so obsessed as you, Linda. Why if I so much as look at a picture you say I'm a pygmalionist.' In the end we got far more information out of a book called Ducks and Duck breeding. 'Ducks can only copulate,' said Linda, after studying this for a while, 'in running water. Good luck to them' 
Oh, the tedium of waiting to grow up! longing for love, obsessed with weddings and sex, Linda and her sisters and cousin Fanny are on the lookout for the perfect lover. But finding Mr Right is much harder than any of the sisters thought. Linda must suffer marriage first to a stuffy Tory MP and then to a handsome and humourless communist, before finding real love in war-torn Paris..." 
The Pursuit of Love, is a perfect example of a book I picked up because it looked/sounded appealing, but unfortunately wasn't so much in reality. I somehow feel the need to enjoy this book more than I actually do since it's literary, but I just don't. It's not even because it's not written well or whatsoever, but the story just wasn't very pleasant to read in real life. I found it boring very easily and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it in a couple of days. It didn't even really stuck with me in my mind, so I haven't got a whole other things to say about it, purely because it just wasn't a book I'd recommend to read purely for the enjoyment.

So again, that's it for this months' books. 
write you soon!
demi x

2 comments:

  1. Great books! I still have to read 'the curious incident', but he's on my list for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh i always love to get some book tips! "all the bright places" seems so nice! And i love what you did with the golden dots in your photographs, it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on my post. xxx